1. I miss my sons. I am so very happy for them, but I miss them more than I ever thought I could. I guess I never knew how much empty nest syndrome could bum a Mom out. I think I’ll spend some time today searching on empty nest syndrome. The good news is I will be going to Colorado to visit them both for a weekend visit in a few weeks.
2. Career search/change. I believe part of the reason this is so difficult for me is that once a prospective employer looks at my resume, and sees the 18 years of IT experience, much of it at the management level, they put my resume aside, thinking “why would this person want a lessor position?” I’m not sure how to combat this issue. I’m proud of the work I have done. I just don’t want to do that type of work any longer. Without a face to face meeting, this is very difficult to get across in a cover letter.
Certainly I am not the first person to burn out in a career and desperately seek a new path. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome!
3. Being financial dependent on someone else. I’ve provided for myself all my working life. I’m not comfortable asking for financial help from anyone, including my husband. This is by far my only regret to making the “find a new career” move last December.
4. Lack of daily interaction with people besides my husband and step son. For the reasons above and this reason, I fear I will take any job just to get out. Although, I have turned down a few jobs which I realized would not be positions that would make me a happy long term. And I am determined to only accept a position that I can see myself enjoying for many years to come. It took me nearly a year to exit my last position, I don’t want to find myself stuck again.
5. The fires in California are really bumming me out. I don’t personally know anyone in the area. However, I am truly sad that so many people are being forced from their homes and many are losing their homes.
Whew. It really is empowering to write down your thoughts. Even it they are your top five reasons for being bummed!